Rest is a crucial part of our physical and spiritual well-being. Over the years, the importance of rest has been proven by science. Although we are biologically designed to rest, some just do not seem to get it. Hence, the word “restless”. Several studies have come up with various ways on how to get a good nights’ rest. Some medicines force our body to rest when we cannot naturally get it. As the Book of Life, the Bible speaks of rest that nobody can give but God. In this article, we listed the best bible verses about rest that will help us have a peaceful mind and spirit.
The Command of Keeping the Sabbath Day
- Leviticus 25:4 But in the seventh year, there shall be a Sabbath of solemn rest for the land, a Sabbath to the Lord. You shall not sow your field or prune your vineyard.
- Exodus 20:8-10 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.
When God created the heavens and the earth, it was written that He rested on the 7th day. Hence, it was declared that the 7th day of the week must be for rest. In the Old Testament, it is said that on the Sabbath day, no physical activity was allowed. Though there have been debates on whether the Sabbath fell on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, one thing is for sure; the Sabbath day was hailed as the day for the Lord.
The ancient Jews strictly kept this tradition. They worked hard for 6 days of the week and reserved the 7th for physical rest. Even the servants or foreigners were obliged to follow. The policy about Sabbath was strict that anyone who was caught doing labor on the said day would be punished. However, when Jesus came, big changes happened which leads to our present Sabbath Day.
Jesus Violated the Sabbath Day
- Mark 2:27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Although other Christian sects around the world still preach about Sabbath day, Jesus Himself did not follow this strict rule. During Jesus’ ministry, he did various miracles such as healing the sick and casting away evil spirits. He performed all of those regardless of what day it may be. If a blind person went to him, he healed them that very same moment. Contrary to what the Jews did, He did not let Sabbath day pass before doing what He needed to do.
Those very same deeds, though done in goodwill, was not taken well by the high priests. They accused Him of disregarding the law. In return, Jesus asked them if they will rather wait to heal a sick person just to keep the Sabbath.
Should We Keep the Sabbath?
The commandment of Sabbath was made for the ancient Jews in the Old Testament. When Jesus came, His teachings are addressed not only to the Jews but also to us Gentiles who were saved through His sacrifice on the cross. Therefore, what we should follow is not the rules meant for the Jews nor the rules made by Moses for the Jews in the Old Testament. As Christians, we should follow instead the teachings of Jesus Christ.
This does not mean that we should work all days of the week without giving time for God. We must make time each day to spend time with God.
Bible Verses About Rest
We rest to replenish our energy and to ensure that our physical bodies will function well. Insufficient or uncomfortable sleep will disturb the natural rhythm of our bodies. But it is not only our physical bodies that need rest. Our minds and souls get exhausted as well. We must get good rest for our bodies and rest our souls through the words of God in the Bible.
- Psalm 55:6 I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.
- Psalm 121:4 Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
- Jeremiah 31:26 At this I awoke and looked, and my sleep was pleasant to me
- Matthew 26:45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
- Isaiah 30:15 For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, “In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.” But you were unwilling,
- Psalm 62:1 Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.
- Matthew 8:24 And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep.